about matthew tyas
I started by collecting pottery and continue to enjoy the work of potters like William Marshall and the old vernacular pots of Korea, China, Southeast Asia, and England. I progressed to making where rushed evening classes developed into a studio in Penistone and a Master's in Ceramics at Cardiff.
I then established a studio on the periphery of the Yorkshire Sculpture Park, for a couple of years, to further develop my practice; being keen to continue exploring landscapes and their appropriation through clay. I offered classes too and also volunteered as Exhibitions Officer for the NPA.
- Crafts Magazine
- An image of my acrylic Leach Tableware Large Tall Mug features in the May/June 2013 issue of Crafts Magazine alongside coverage of my Echo of Leach exhibition at the Leach Pottery. June 2013.
- Contemporary Tableware
- A great new book by Linda Bloomfield which features a piece from the Sea and Sky collection. Contemporary Tableware is available to buy now. June 2013.
- International Ceramics Festival 2013
- I've been accepted to talk at the International Ceramics Festival 2013 PhD Symposium: Postgraduate Studies: What’s the Point? It will be chaired by Bonnie Kemske, Editor of Ceramic Review. I'll be talking about my Echo of Leach research project and why I think it's important to study ceramics in a post-graduate context. Come to the Theatre on Sunday 30th June at 1pm. June 2013.
- Craft Skills Awards
- I attended the inaugural Craft Skills Awards, in London, with Katie Bunnell on behalf of the Autonomatic Research Group at Falmouth University. We won the Judges’ Spotlight Award for digital craft - presented to Katie by the Prince of Wales. I also feature in the Craft Skills Awards Film recorded for the Awards. May 2013.
- Scratch Magazine - University College Falmouth Alumni Magazine
- Features one of my laser drawings on p40 of the PDF. September 2012.
- Livingetc Magazine, modern design ideas
- Photographed work from the Sea and Sky collection - soon to feature in the magazine. February 2012.
- Bettles Gallery
- Work donated for auction at the 'Hungry Bowl Lunch 2' on 5th November 2011. November 2011.
- Domestic Sluttery: Design Porn: Sea and Sky
- Featuring work from the Sea and Sky collection. October 2011.
- Paint Pixels and Beyond 2
- Featuring work from the Sea and Sky and Melting Snow collections on local TV - 06:18 onwards. September 2011.
- Heart Gallery: Meet the Maker: Matthew Tyas
- Featuring work from the Sea and Sky collection. July 2011.
- Card and Gift Blog: Gifts: Matthew Tyas Ceramics
- Featuring work from the Sea and Sky collection. March 2011.
- Mosaic Magazine Issue 48
- With pictures, text, and a little background to my involvement in ceramics and recent work. Issue 48, pp37-9, November 2010.